How Often Should You Post on Social Media?
Today, having a strong digital marketing strategy usually means a heavy reliance on social media. After all, social media is the perfect vehicle for increasing brand awareness, generating engagement and earning the trust of consumers. The questions about social media no longer involve “should you”, but instead all circle around “how”.
One of the most common questions about social media is how often to post. It’s a simple enough question, but the answer is more complicated.
First, there needs to be a balance. You don’t want to overwhelm your audience, but you also don’t want to disappear from their radar, and what works on what network isn’t always right for the next. Then, there’s timing. If you don’t post with the right frequency, at the right time, you’re not getting maximum results for your efforts.
So, how do we solve this puzzle? Let’s take a look.
Start with a Strategy
Thankfully, you’re not the first person to be confused about how often to post. This is good because others have gone before and endured a little trial and error for the benefit of the rest of us, and now we have a better understanding of the magic numbers on various social networks.
However, you should only view these numbers as a guideline for developing your own strategy. Factors, such as your industry, can influence how often you should post, so it’s important to take an individualized approach. When developing your social posting strategy, keep these things in mind.
- First, start with consistency. It’s important to be consistent with the amount that you’re posting for a couple reasons. Consistency builds credibility with your audience on social media as they learn more about you and start looking forward to your posts. Plus, consistency allows you to accurately test your current strategy.
- The next step is to listen. Is your audience responding to your posts, and what are they saying? Audience engagement can provide clues as to how often you should be posting.
- Finally, test everything. Test various posting schedules across multiple social platforms, adjust and then test again.
Breaking Down the Social Networks
Now, the information you’re looking for. Here’s how much you should be posting on different networks based on what’s worked well for successful businesses.
- Facebook: On Facebook, quality beats out quantity. Aim for at least 3, but no more than 10, high quality posts per week.
- Twitter: Twitter is fast paced and high volume. There’s so much going on that it’s crucial to post at least 5 times a day if you don’t want to go unnoticed.
- Instagram: This is probably one of the most challenging networks for businesses. Posts need to be both visually stimulating and engaging. Creating multiple posts per day would be a challenge. Thankfully, 1-6 posts per week seems to be the sweet spot for Instagram.
- Snapchat: Stick to once or twice per week on Snapchat, but make sure that you put in the time to make your posts super engaging for the biggest impact.
- LinkedIn: This is the network for professionals, so posts should be industry focused and more technical. This type of content takes time to create, so aim for a minimum of 2 times per week.
Have you been looking for insights into how often to post on social media as part of your marketing strategy? We have the social media management services to help. Contact us at BeeSmart Social Media today and let us help you create success.